Here’s what we learned about elevation* — the best way to be happier:
- Watch inspiring movies: Seeing stories of others doing good makes you happier and makes you want to be good.
- Write about the good moments: Thinking’s nice but writing is better.
- Spend time with good people: Hang out with the good kids, like mom told you.
- Don’t hang out with the bad kids
- “Psychologists have observed that bad habits can spread through an office like a contagious disease. Employees tend to mirror the bad behaviors of their co-workers, with factors as diverse as low morale, poor working habits, and theft from the employer all rising based on the negative behavior of peers.”
- “When you take a job take a long look at the people you’re going to be working with — because the odds are you’re going to become like them, they are not going to become like you.”
- Do good to be good: Be the one who elevates others and karma can be a very real thing.
*Elevation: Elevated participants were more likely to report physical feelings in their chests, especially warm, pleasant, or “tingling” feelings, and they were more likely to report wanting to help others, to become better people themselves, and to affiliate with others.(This is way better than the pleasurable feelings you get eating an ice-cream).